Monday, August 17, 2015

Staying on Track

    I love the times in life when it's nice outside and the kids go out to play.
This allows me the time to sit back and drink a cup of coffee and think for a few minutes. One of my favorite past times is to look at other large family blogs and homeschool curriculum :) I confess I have an addiction LOL.


    A recent article from Large Families on Purpose by Erika Shupe was talking about being Professional Parents. I know that sounds like working moms and dad outside of the home, but it really it was talking about the attitude of parenthood and how we take on this responsibility.
      In jobs outside of the home there is a hierarchy of positions. The managers are those that set goals for the jobs to get done and assign different tasks. As a Professional parents, my job is to be the manager of my home and not be managed by my home ;). 
     After I gave birth to my sweet little Tony Jr, #4, I realized the difference between being a manger of my home and taking on all the responsibilities of the home. Since I came from the typical 2 parent, 2 child home; my mom pretty much did everything for us. I appreciate all her hard work she did, but once I hit more than 3 kids I saw this model did not work and was overwhelming me :) Insert nervous breakdown. Well, not really :)
    Since this time I have been looking to other larger families to see how they do it and how they do it successfully. I realized that I needed to delegate responsibilities and find better ways to manage my home and time. This truthfully is not my strong suite, but I am working on it and it makes a difference. I have found that gleaning advice from other large families saves you time and energy. Not everybody does it the same and that is the beauty of life. 
    One quote from Erika Shupe that really hit me today was, "For me it was largely a matter of figuring out what I can handle and what I can't during this season of life.  Not whether or not to follow God's plans for our family, but rather how to do it well, and with a smile.  I've learned to be pro-active in all of these areas, not reactive - to do life ON PURPOSE. " ( Large Families on Purpose)

    The area that I've really been wrestling with in my life is doing what God has called me to even though the way I want to do it isn't working. Mainly, the way I want to homeschool. I LOVE BOOKS!!! I could probably spend all day reading and would be in heaven. For years I have used and drooled over many different literature based curriculum. We have used and loved Sonlight, Heart of Dakota, and My Father's World (we still are using MFW). These are great choices, but at the younger age there is a lot of time spent reading. This seems like a great problem, but my little ones need attention too and so interruptions enter in and distract from the flow of school. School was not quite working out the way I had intended it.
     Last year I really considered not homeschooling because all the kids and parent intense curriculum was stressing me out. Yes, you can teach little ones to play on their own, and mine do, but for 4 hours that is not too realistic. I really had to spend some time praying and what Erika said in her post really resonated in my heart in that God has a plan for out lives, but sometimes we have to adjust how we do it. It's not yes I will follow you, but only if I can do it my way. I have to adjust my techniques to continue to do His will and do it well. In my strength I would use these wonderful literature based programs, but in this season in my life that is not working too well for me. I have had to make adjustments. (My dilemma last year was that each kid was doing their own full program, Pre-K, 2nd, and 4th along with a wild 2 year old and newborn)
     Making adjustments in our plans is something that sometimes needs to be taken to heart by all people. Many times we want to do something our way and if we don't have it that way we are like little children and pout and decide we wont do it at all. 
     Proverbs 16:9 states that, "The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps." 
Sometimes OUR plans must be adjusted in order to get into HIS steps. For me it was schooling. I've had to learn to let go some. For my K student she is thriving on Abeka streaming. She loves watching her teacher and is learning so much. I would never had thought I would use a more traditional approach to school but it is working well for her. My older 2 are using MFW for Bible, Science, and History. Clumping them together into one program has saved a lot of time so far.Ultimately, I have a goal that I feel God placed on my hear, homeschooling, and I am adjusting how we do it with what works in our family at this season. 
    The biggest thing is that I have learned that I have expectations of how things should be and want them that way, but that is not always what God wants. I need to know the bigger plan God has and follow that. There are many ways to go to the grocery from my house. If one way is closed due to road work I simply drive another route. The same way for our lives.
     What has God called you to? Has he called you to be a stay-at-home mom, a homeschooler, a student, a pastor, etc. We must not be fixated on the small things that don't work out the way we wanted them to, but be flexible in the plan of things and keep on working towards the goals God has placed in our hearts. He has a plan for each of us. I knew from a young age I wanted to be married, have a large family, and homeschool. I am investing a lot into my children and want to give them my best. Sometimes I may have to adjust my plans along the way, but the goal is still there and I will continue working on it Lord willing. Our children are worth it, and it is worth it to keep going to fullfil the plan God placed in my heart. If anything, glean from my example that whatever God puts in your heart, work towards that goal and don't be derailed from the small things.

No comments:

Post a Comment