So a new school year is upon us at the Stefko house!!! I try to end school when the public schools get out so I try to start earlier so we take more breaks than they do ;) That is one major advantage of homeschooling, schooling when you want to.
So #3 is starting Kindergarten this year and we are switching things up a little. I love reading books and I would totally thrive on a lit based approach, but with all the rugrats running around the house I needed something a little different. The oldest 2 are combined in My Father's World, but Brie is trying out Abeka Academy Online Streaming. This is the 6th year I have been homeschooling and the first time trying a more traditional based approach in schooling.
I've always followed the approach more of make homeschooling fun and creative and read a lot. Well, I'm tired and I get interrupted A LOT, so this year I wanted to give Brie a chance of getting school done without getting interrupted. With Abeka I will be helping her, she is only 5, but when the others need something I can go help without it interrupting her learning. This is a huge stress reliever for me!!! The one thing I struggled last year with was constant interruptions. I had a nursing infant and a wild 2 year old and the big kids needed help with things so in walks Abeka.
Here is Brie watching her teacher and getting to be a part of a class. For my Brie this is awesome because she loves being social. Yes she is watching it, but the teacher calls on her and she loves that. She is learning simple skills that a child that age should learn because, egg on face, sometimes I forget that one of them may not know that ;) She is also learning how to follow directions as she interacts and listens to the teacher. Finally, Abeka is very thorough program so I am confident in what she learns without having to supplement.


No comments:
Post a Comment